Teeth whitening is one of the simplest and most sought-after procedures when it comes to enhancing the aesthetics of your smile. It involves the application of a teeth whitening gel rich in hydrogen peroxide on the teeth and allowing it to stay on the surface for a few minutes. Once the whitening gel removes the stains from the teeth, it will be rinsed off to give you sparkling white teeth.
What causes teeth staining?
Our teeth can stain due to the following causes:
• Excessive consumption of colored foods
• Chewing tobacco and smoking cigarettes
• Excessive consumption of alcohol, beverages, red wine, etc.
• Improper oral hygiene
• Severe teeth wear, exposing the underlying dentin
What are the various ways to remove teeth discoloration?
• In-office whitening: In-office or conventional teeth whitening is the process of removing the stains from the teeth using a bleach-like whitening gel in the dental practice. The procedure is carried out by a well-trained dentist. The teeth will be cleaned thoroughly before commencing the procedure, and a rubber dam will be placed on them to protect the soft gum tissues. The gel will be applied to the teeth, spread evenly, and allowed to stay for a few minutes. During this, the gel liberates oxygen molecules that gently penetrate the porous surface of the teeth and bleach the staining particles. It will be rinsed off, and the procedure may be repeated multiple times if necessary.
• Take-home whitening kits:Whitening kits consisting of customized whitening trays and a highly effective whitening gel will be provided by the dentist, which you can take home and use as and when you please. You have to clean the teeth thoroughly, apply a small amount of gel on the trays, and place them on your teeth. They prevent the gel from coming in contact with the oral tissues and saliva, thus improving its efficiency. More importantly, the procedure can be conducted by yourself at home without any hassle.
• Laser whitening:Laser teeth whitening uses a highly effective photosensitive whitening gel that can be activated using a highly intense laser. The use of an activating light source helps to speed up the whitening procedure and renders better results, which also last for a long time. Individuals who have less time in hand due to their busy schedules can benefit from laser teeth whitening.
Please schedule a consultation with Dr. Rodriguez by calling us at (949) 916-8922 or reaching us through an online query, and we’ll be happy to guide you further.